This species of bream are easy to catch and very plentiful. This makes them perfect for this recipe. This is also a versitale bream recipe as you can also use bluegill bream. If you’ve been looking for different bream recipes, this is one you’ll love. Shellcracker and jalapeno appetizers will delight everyone.
Shellcracker and jalapeno appetizers ingredients:
- 18 fresh jalapeno or small sweet peppers
- 1 cup cooked shellcracker, broken into pieces (bluegill bream can be used as well)
- 2 green onions, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon lime zest, minced
- 1 cup shredded jack cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
Shellcracker and jalapeno appetizers instructions:
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Spilt jalapeno peppers lengthwise and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes until peppers are softened.
- Remove from the oven and allow jalapeno pepers to cool.
- While peppers are cooling, mix the shellcracker meat, green onions, basial, garlic, lime zest, shredded jack cheese, cream cheese, and bread crumbs in a bowl.
- When jalapeno peppers have cooled, carefully scrape out the seeds and discard.
- Stuff the peppers with the shellcracker mixture.
- Broil or grill the shellcracker and jalapeno appetizers until warm and cheese is melted. And enjoy this twist on the classic recipe for jalapeno poppers.